MINISTER OF MUSIC
Binkley Baptist Church in Chapel Hill, N.C., seeks a full-time Minister of Music (Choral Director and Organist) to lead its music ministry. Binkley is a diverse, progressive, and welcoming and affirming congregation.
An ideal candidate will be a skilled and enthusiastic musician who, in addition to inspiring members of the current ensembles, is prepared to engage in active outreach to the Binkley congregation and to the broader community with the specific goal of enriching and increasing participation in the worship and musical life of Binkley Baptist Church. The successful candidate will partner with ministerial staff in building upon existing traditions and exploring new forms of worship and music to attract youth, young adults, and families with young children.
The Minister of Music will provide leadership and oversight in the areas of music and worship arts to further spiritual education and enrichment, and community outreach in support of Binkley’s mission in building compassionate and joyful community, freely exploring spiritual paths, and pursuing justice and peace in the way of Jesus.
- Partner with ministerial staff to plan services by selecting preludes, anthems, offertories, hymns, and postludes that support the liturgy and key messages of the worship experience to inform, challenge, educate, and inspire.
- Develop and nurture trusting relationships with parishioners across generations.
- Select anthems for, rehearse, conduct, and accompany the Chancel Choir.
- Direct or oversee the direction of the children and youth choirs, hand bell ensemble, and instrumental groups.
- Provide organ and piano accompaniment for worship services and accompaniment for choirs, soloists and instrumentalists.
- Lead recruitment of vocalists, instrumentalists, volunteers, and guest musicians needed to support the music ministry.
- Foster community outreach and connection through the music program.
- Educate the congregation and music groups in music, liturgy, and worship leadership.
- Serve as liaison to and provide support for the Music Committee.
- Oversee the acquisition, use, maintenance, and storage of music, instruments, and property of the music program including vestments and robes.
- Assist the Minister of Christian Formation in the acolyte ministry.
- Engage in opportunities for personal, spiritual, and professional development.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Music (Master’s preferred) and at least 10 years’ experience in church music, conducting, organ performance and worship planning is required. The salary will be dependent upon skills and experience of candidate.
A snapshot of music at Binkley:
Our sanctuary is an acoustically-vibrant worship space with flexible seating for the congregation. The focal point is a two-manual, 21 rank pipe organ manufactured by the Schantz Organ Company situated in the front of the sanctuary. The traditional roll-top console is easily moved to accommodate various service or concert configurations. Additional details about the instrument may be found in the Organ Historical Society database. Other primary instruments include a Kawai baby grand piano, a four-octave set of hand bells, and choir chimes.
The Chancel Choir boasts a high caliber of musicianship and includes accomplished vocalists, instrumentalists, and soloists. The congregation is also musically adept and adventurous. Service music at Binkley typically includes hymns and sacred music from a variety of styles. Recent performance highlights include: Durufle’s “Requiem” for Palm Sunday; Vespers Services for All Saints, Pentecost, and All Souls; Scripture and Spirituals; Hymn Sings; Jazz Music Sunday; and a variety of Appalachian folk and hymn tunes performed by the Old Time Gospel Band. We sponsor a Choral Scholars Program in partnership with the UNC Department of Music where students receive a modest scholarship for taking a leadership role in the music ministry of the church. The Chancel Choir also engages in collaborative choral performances with other faith communities in the area.
Please visit www.binkleychurch.org to learn more about the church.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to email@example.com by October 24, 2018.